I’m an inveterate night owl though I don’t confess it even to myself. I like to torture my body with early wakes trying to reorganize my cycle. But when I have shooting at 6AM I silently swear like a fishwife.
- Whites 100 g
- Sugar 200 g
- Vanilla sugar 8 g
- Citric acid ¼ teaspoon
- Add dye if necessary
- Separate whites and yolks (yolks aren't needed)
- Pour whites into the cup of a stand mixer.
- Add vanilla sugar and citric acid.
- Whip at middle speed gradually adding sugar (add dye if necessary)
- Continue whipping until you get glistening smooth and dense consistency.
- Press meringues out of the pastry bag on the baking pan covered with parchment paper and dry in oven at 100°C (212°F) for about 2 hours.
But I haven’t for a long time felt so much satisfaction from early wakeup as I did that day when I was sitting on a sofa, drinking coffee and watching sunrise. I was so fascinated with the scene that I had just forgotten about the camera and that I could take pictures of the spectacular show I was watching.
Noise of waves, calls of gulls and smell of the sea in the rays of rising September sun.