Rachki (little prawns) are not prawns. You shouldn’t tell something like that if near you are Odessa People. Rachki (little prawns) are Rachki. And, the most important, every Odessa person has their own original Rachki Recipe. I’ve heard a lot about different recipes, from the simplest one – just to boil in the salt water with herbs to pierce every piece with syringe with special mixture…
Do tourists like prawns? From the railway station you should go to Privoz, buy Rachki and only after that to go to the sea…
What do you need to do, if lovely Odessa is not near, and you want prawns with beer? We are waiting for you. If not, just buy little prawns and cook. The recipe is below.
- Big number of little prawns
- Bay leaves
- Spice, to taste
- Parsley, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Boil water in a big pan.
- Add salt, spice, bay leaves and herbs.
- Very carefully put the little prawns into a pan and boil it again.
- Boil it under strong fire for 1,5 – 2 minutes.
- Turn off the fire and let little prawns to brew in salt water.
- When little prawns will be at the bottom of the pan, you can merge the water out the pan.
- It’s done. So easy and tasty!
The book «Traditional Soviet Union Jewish Recipes: Odessa’s Snacks» it is true Odessa recipes, which I was collecting for a long time, communicating with native people of my city. I’ll tell you how to cook mussels in Odessa way, to show the most right forshmak recipe, and how to fry and salt kilka. To evaluate this incrediable taste and colorful Odessa cuisine, here for you is a Rachki recipe.