For a long time I’ve been thinking of making a book about Ukrainian varenyky (stuffed dumplings of unleavened dough). I have already chosen and examined recipes.
- Trout - 1100 g
- Rock-salt - 500 g
- Sea salt - 500 g
- Chicken egg (white) - 150 g
- Olive oil - 20 g
- Spices - 10 g
- Porcini fresh-frozen - 40 g
- Onion - 25 g
- Microgreen - 3 g
- Pine buds - 5 g
- Oil - 5 g
- Butter - 5 g
- Hollandaise sauce u/f - 20 g
- Balsamic reduction - 3 g
- Beet - 30 g
- Dill - 2 g
- Lemon - 15 g
- Soy-bean sauce - 5 g
- Spirit - 50 g
- Clean the trout, remove the lungs and insides.
- Stuff the belly with thyme branches.
- Whip yolks, add salt, spices, mix salt mixture.
- Put half of the salt dressing on a pan fitting the size of the fish.
- Put the fish with peel on salt and cover with remaining salt, close tight.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes and temperature of 347°F.
- Flambé the fish with spirit or cognac.
- Remove salt cover and put the filet on the plate with tartar.
Together with Aleksey Shvets, we have cooked more than forty dishes of which we have chosen fifteen traditional ones and also created fifteen types of varenyky with simple and clear taste made of local products.
All the texts have been written and our national dish will be well represented for the English-speaking auditorium.
Yes, really, the book will be in English.
A little is left to do. To take pictures of all these dishes. I refused to make staging such as traditional Ukrainian village with clay pots and wooden spoons. I wanted something fresh, modern and clear. I wanted to make the dish closer to city residents, to gourmets.
Photo should be simple. Nothing extra that would distract from varenyky.
I searched for different options, phoned around all dishware dealers and found new collection of Revol company.
This collection will come to Ukraine in summer at the earliest. And I phoned to Revol head-office in France. In just a week I had the new collection. The only one in our country. You can see these plates in photos.
And now we are working on the book of Ukrainian varenyky.
We try different forms, sizes and are torn between minimalism in photography and big Ukrainian soul in the plate.
Hey, soon we will have more than thirty different tastes and five types of dough. There is no end of work to be done.
Book pre-order will be available soon.