If you hear something about Hong Kong the first thing that pops in your head is that it is absolutely modern, mod, huge-scale city, where there was some incredible miracle. No wonder it is called the “Asian tigers”. Hong Kong id fast-moving, impresses with its volume, territories, but at the same time showing your color!
And thinking about Asian food, you just imagine something unusual and extraordinary. And just today, I want to show you the recipe of the chef from Hong Kong. Roasted Langoustine with Crab Cookies and Veal Leg Salad.
And when we were working with him, we had a very funny dialogue:
– You’re lucky, chef! – I say with a smile.
– Ahaha, realy? – Pino is very surprised, in a typically Italian manner.
– Yes, you have an amazing view from your office.
But I had no chance to see it that day.
- 600 g Raw French green beans
- 250 g Brunoise button mushroom
- 75 g Butter
- 100 g Brunoise of carrot
- 400 ml Chicken Stock
- 400 g Chiffonade of white leek
- 125 g Butter
- 1 tin Truffle juice - 390 ml
- 250 g 10 years old Madeira
- 350 g Red Port
- 200 grams Beurre noisette
- 200 grams Flour
- 200 grams Egg whites
- 100 grams Crab bisque reduced as syrup
- Cook the Green Beans until cooked through.
- Refresh in ice-cold water.
- Drain the beans and blend in thermo mix.
- Pass through a fine sieve.
- Re weigh 400 gms of Green Beans.
- Cook the brunoise mushroom in butter.
- Mix the two vegetables in a pan with the cream and cook until soft.
- Allow to cool and mix in the mushroom.
- Then mix the brunoise mix and bean purée together.
- Season with white pepper, salt and a few drops of lemon juice to give it balance.
- Chiffonade the leek and sweat in the butter until translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the hot reduced stock.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the truffle juice and simmer for 2 minutes more.
- Blend in the thermo mix on high for a few minutes and pass through the fine chinois.
- Flame and reduce the alcohols.
- Once both are reduced to heavy syrup, pour into the sauce and blend.
- Cool down over ice, whisking to emulsify.
- Cook the veal legs in broth.
- Once cooked, clean and dress the meat with olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice and put in a mold.
- Let it cool and cut into small cubes.
- Add it to a brunoise of boiled eggs and lightly chopped capers and anchovies.
- Season with sherry vinegar, chives and shallot oil.
- Preheat oven to 140°C.
- With a hand blender, mix the butter and egg whites.
- Add the flour a little at a time until smooth.
- Add the crab reduction to taste.
- Take 100 grams of the above mixture and add 150 grams of maple syrup and mix well.
- Spread thinly onto a non-stick mat.
- Half of the biscuits need to be sprinkled with coral baking powder.
- Bake in the preheated oven until slightly holy in appearance.
- Poach a leg of king crab.
- Remove the pulp and season with basil, diced celery, diced avocado and a spoon of mayo.
- Make a disk the same diameter of the cookies and fill one cookie with the mix.
- Remove the shell and pan-fry for a few minutes.
- Season and serve.
- Place the bean purée at the bottom of the plate.
- Garnish with 3 cubes of veal foot salad.
- Add one crab cookie and a few slices of black truffle.
- Fill with herbs and flower, and pour the truffle emulsion.
You can’t even imagine the extent of my disappointment, when I woke up. I looked outside from the window of my small but cosy flat on the 18th floor, and saw nothing.
Hong-Kong was covered by thick fog.
Of course, it’s good and sometimes even a great fun to stay at home with some hot drink, wrapping up in a throw blanket…
But not to run for shooting in a Michelin-starred restaurant with the best panoramic view in Hong-Kong at 400m height!
You’re a lucky chef. But I’m going to shoot your portrait in the interior of the restaurant, and not with the view of my favourite city in the background…
And yes, trying this dish at Michelin restaurant, do not forget to look out the window! After all, there is the best panoramic view of Hong Kong at a height of 400 meters! Although the taste is so incredible that if you suddenly did not look at the city, do not worry, this recipe is cost it!