Snails, croissants, and onion soup. These associations with French cuisine know even schoolchildren, who think that nothing in this world tastes better than pizza and one famous fast food chain.
However, all of these dishes are just a top of one of the French cooking hill.
- 1kg Potatoes
- 150gr Clarified butter
- 2pc Rosemary
- 2pcs Thyme
- 1pc Espelette Chilli Powder
- 30gr Grated Parmesan
- 50gr Black Trumpet Mushroom
- Chopped garlic
- 2 filets Venison Tenderloin (160gr/pers)
- Trimming venison
- Button mushrooms
- Bay leaves
- Common juniper
- Red wine
- Chicken stock.
- Clarified the butter then add chopped rosemary, thyme flower, salt and espelette in the butter.
- Slice the potatoes very thin and process like a mille-feuilles (butter, potatoes, parmesan…).
- Cook with foil around 45min at 180C°.
- Cut it with a ring to give the circle shape.
- Caramelize the meat. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in preheated pan.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons sugar, and cook for 2 minutes on a medium-low heat.
- Then add trimming venison and fry on each side until nice and brown.
- Add all the vegetables.
- Deglaze with the red wine. Reduce heat.
- Pour in the chicken stock, and cook for 2 hours
- Drain and reduce until you have a nice flavour and texture.
- Roast the venison in the pan with a little bit of butter around 4min and keep on the side for 5min.
- Pan fry the black Trumpet mushrooms and at the end chopped with garlic, parsley and chives.
- Put the “Pomme Anna” in the middle of the plate.
- Top with slices of venison fillet.
- Spoon with sauce, and put around mushrooms.
- Garnish with fresh arugula if desired.
Of course, national cuisine is one of the most important parts of the country culture. But in France, it is almost a religion. If you’re not French, you can not understand it for 100%, as well as their deep love of wine. But if you cook this dish, you will understand it a little bit better.
Cook for two, and remember: the most important is to enjoy the process as much as the result.
Open the kitchen door, invite the one who you want to share this dish with, and surrender to gastronomic delights together. This is your moment of French pleasure!